11.4.10

MmmmMadeleines!


"In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines, 
lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.
They left the house at half past nine...
The smallest one was Madeline."


When I was growing up, I loved the Madeline books... They were some of my very favorite books when I was a small child. 

I think that this is one of the reasons that the idea of Madeleines is so lovely to me. I know it sounds strange, but associating this lovely dessert with one of my favorite stories puts a very rosy glow on these cookies/cakes.

They're made with a batter, as opposed to a dough, with only a small amount of flour and sugar, combined with eggs and melted butter, and baking powder for leavening. I actually made these twice, with two different recipes, with varying degrees of success.

The beautiful thing about using melted butter as a large part of this recipe is that it opens the door to infusing flavours... The picture above is my first batch, infusing DAVIDsTEA Organic Creme Brulé Rooibos tea into the butter. The smell from this was absolutely DIVINE! My second batch, I used DAVIDsTEA The Earl's Garden tea. The smell was less pronounced, but still really lovely.

What really makes a Madeleine a Madeleine, though, is its destinctive shell shape. The molds come in two sizes, and I decided to go for the smaller of the two (although if anyone wants to send me a larger mold, I'd be happy to try the larger size!)


The first batch was a lot more challenging, in part due to the fact that I kept adding TOO MUCH batter to the molds. You really need just a tiny dollop in each to make a perfect little cookie. Also, I found the texture was a bit drier in the first batch, from my Pastry cookbook. The second recipe I tried was Earl Grey Madelines.

These are such a perfect little accompaniment to tea! I found that one recipe easily makes 80 of the small cookies, and this is a recipe only using 3/4 cup of flour, and 5 tbsp of butter. It all adds up to 1 points free cookie... And going up from there, I discovered that I could have 4 beautiful little Madeleines for only 1.5 pts!

Batch #1 - Note the larger bubbles and coarser texture.

Batch #2 came out beautifully. I will DEFINITELY be making these frequently!

One note... When it says to butter and flour the mold, please BUTTER AND FLOUR it. Do not use non-stick spray, because they WILL stick. And then you will end up eating an entire sheet's worth of cookies, as you scrape them out. 

Which is delicious, but not really the point.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Gorgeous! Delicious!

    Jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good good. I love those, I have been meaning to try them.

    ReplyDelete