21.3.10

And the Winner... CREAM PUFFS!

I stand by my word... And when the voters chose Cream Puffs, I said...

I shall make cream puffs! And here they are!!

I think that it's such culinary magic that this... Paste can become these magic little PUFFS! My husband watched the sheets go into the oven, looking suspicious. How could this goo become anything?!

His reaction, when I handed him one? "Holy Crap! They're Cream Puffs!!"

The lovely thing is that they really don't have much sugar in them (I made half a recipe, and it had 1/8th of a tsp of sugar), so they could be used for savory applications... I could see this filled with smoked salmon cream cheese, and maybe some chopped chives?

Instead, I filled them with "Creme Patissiere", or Pastry Cream. It's a custard, thickened with cornstarch... Sweet and Vanilla-ey, and really lovely to find when you bite into the innocent looking puff. 

For the finisher, I reduced some Framboise, and served it on the Cream Puffs!



I'm going to be away for a few days, so I won't be doing much baking in the next little while... But I'll be back before long! After all, I still have cheese danishes and chocolate genoise to make!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! They look heavenly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great. I actually made some this past weekend for my monthly book club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious. My mom used to make them, and I loved them. I should pull out the recipe.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. felicitations!!! these look awesome, they're also my food nemesis. If I can make croissants from scratch and macarons, why can't I make choux? *shakes fist*. One day I will do it.
    They look like they'd pair nicely with some homemade vanilla or cappuccino ice cream. mmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete