13.2.10

Macarons - Prep (Almond Flour)

These aren't mine... But aren't they gorgeous?

Tomorrow, we come to Project number one, page 459... Macarons Gerbet.

Macarons have rather become a sensation lately... A super-duper french cookie, they consist of two halves made of egg whites, confectioners' sugar, and almond flour. Now, egg whites and confectioners' sugar are easy, every day grocery store items, but the almond flour...

So, I thought, why not make it myself?! 

Yeah, it's not as easy as it sounds...

The issue is that almonds contain oil in fairly significant quantities, which means that you have to walk a fine line between almond MEAL (think corn meal, but almondy and slightly oily) and almond butter (like peanut butter, but... erm... Almondier).  

After doing some careful research (aka. Googling), I've found that apparently a coffee grinder is the best implement for the job, so in a few minutes, I will be putting that to the test, trying to finely grind some lovely, freshly made almond meal into a slightly more powdery substance. I know that it will never be as fine and powdery as wheat flour, but I think that for the fine macarons, I'll need something a bit finer than cornmeal!

Now that I think of it, these Macarons will be protein packed MARVELS! Egg white and almonds?! Basically, all protein. (Okay, and sugar... But is there a problem with that? I think not!) Maybe I could use cookies as a meat substitute? Ha!

Alright... Off to ground tiny quantities of almond meal into flour... or paste! 
Glory or Disaster!


Update: It's not perfect, but it's a heckuva lot better! If it turns out terribly in the macarons, well... Meh. I'm sure it'll be fine to make banana bread or squares or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment